Monday, January 01, 2007

Another quiet day

I hope that everyone was able to ring in the new year in a safe way last night. This is one of the scariest nights of the year for me because I just dread the idea that one of our family members or friends would end up in an accident. Thankfully, we have no reports of such an event! We were invited to a neighbor's along with two other families, and it was a great evening. Thanks to a great finished basement we were able to let the kids have their own "party" downstairs full of all of the foods my kid usually doesn't get to eat. She was thrilled. lol The parents were eating our own stash of forbidden foods upstairs. For me, it was baked brie stuffed with blueberry preserves. It was as "clean" as I could buy it, though I wouldn't exactly call it healthy! I loved every single bite. :) And, though my dear husband didn't understand why on earth I would want to make it to take to a party (cheese... fruit... baked... together? The insanity!) he was very thrilled to find out that it was the ONLY dish that wasn't processed/packaged. It was worth it to see him thrilled that his wife cooks from scratch. We've come a long way from where we ate a year ago even. Though, I haven't quite figured out how to tactifully handle how we eat out at someone's table. We end up just eating it, and then dealing with the aftermath of the kid on dye. Though, last night wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Maybe it's because she went straight to bed and was so tired she slept 12 hours! Of course, she's been playing all day here, there, and everywhere, so it might be that I just haven't noticed yet!

I remember my granny telling me that what you did with your New Year's Day set the tone for the whole year. So, today we were relaxed. I'm trying anything to influence the tone of life! :) Seriously though, it was a great day. I puttered around with a tiny bit of work, ate some good food, talked with my guy, and watched a football game (the Gator Bowl was great, and we only lost it but a bit... rivals or no GT is my back up team when my Dawgs aren't on! Go UGA!) I also got to participate in one of my all time favorite activities - book buying. I was given book money at Christmas, and this time it only took me a week to figure out what I wanted. I'm on the beginning of a trail of interest so it took a while to decide what would be a good first choice. I'm very interested in learning more about the early church, the Hebraic roots of Christianity, and what it all means to those of us a few centuries later. This year's homeschooling has really not only made great strides and changes in my kid, but it really has been good for me too. I'm sure that I'll end up posting about what I've read at some point. (Meaning, once the books get here and I get some reading under my belt!) Oh - De'Etta - have you ever heard of this book? Holy Cow! Does God Care About What We Eat? by Hope Egan? I didn't get it in this order simply because I had a few other books that I wanted to read first, but it's at the top of my wish list. I wondered if it had ever graced your bookshelf (or if it hadn't purposefully!)

The kid had a very good, typical kid day. She played. A lot. Just what I like to see. :)

4 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I've NOT heard of that book, Stephanie, but I'll have to check it out.

My favorite so far, common sense....lots of documentation is "What the Bible Says about healthy living" by Rex Russell.

Stephanie said...

I love "What the Bible Says." That was the first book that I read. Unfortunately it was a library book, so I need to get it for my book shelf. I need to reread it at some point.


I also need to pick up Grace-based Parenting again. I had it from the library (and was going to read/post to you about it) but I got busy and it got due. lol So, back on the list it goes.

Jodi said...

Happy New Year!

We had a very relaxed day yesterday too, if the whole year is like that I'm ok with it. Glad to see you back blogging.

Stephanie said...

Happy New Year Jodi! Relaxing days are wonderful! I hope that the kids are feeling better!