Saturday, January 27, 2007

I do believe the ick is gone!

I found out this week that rather than suffering from the flu that my kid had, I actually had STREP THROAT! I haven't had this since I was a kid (or so far back that I've forgotten already), and I'm hoping to not have this again for quite some time. After hitting rock bottom so to speak on Thursday we tried out the new "Minute Clinic" at a local CVS pharmacy. I am SO impressed by the set up that they have! It's not a replacement for a family doctor, urgent care facility, or ER at large, but if you have strep, it's perfect. :) We were in, doctored, script filled and in hand, and home in about 45 minutes. You can't beat that for efficiency. And, it was wonderful to have the nurse practitioner start the conversation with, "How do you feel about antibiotic therapy?" She didn't just randomly prescribe something without discussing it with me (though I'm a big believer in snagging that little piece of paper if it will cure the ill that is making me feel like I'm swallowing broken glass after two days of a high fever.) In addition to the throat she found some fluid on my ear, but that was the least of my concerns at that point! I'm glad to report that after two days of the antibiotic I'm feeling SO much better. I'm not ready to go run a marathon - or grocery shop without a serious nap - but I have no pain to speak of, no fever to speak of, and my ear almost feels like normal. Now we just play the waiting game to make sure that I didn't pass it to anyone else in the family (or the kid I babysit. Though I suspect they had something in their family as well since he was out of school sick last week when my kid was running a temp, and his sister was out of school yesterday when I was home without them for my throat.)

The kid is feeling much better, though she still has that hacking cough that I've been told can last up to two weeks. Here's hoping she's got one week finished and only one more to go. She has her first basketball game today! Ok, so this was supposed to be her second, but she missed last week with the flu, so this is her first. Because I wanted more meds in me before I schlepped around jewelry at the open house I've moved it back from today to tomorrow which means that I can go to her game now. :) Of course, it also means that no one can come because I'm hosting it on a Sunday, but you can win at everything.

Work is going well, though the ick really affected it with the open house this weekend. I managed to semi-complete two shows that were open. Hopefully they will close out today and end up in my little sales ticker! I've finally hit the wall where people cancel shows or move them into totally different months, but I've got enough booked that I'm still ok. My personal goal (since we don't have monthly requirements from the company) is to hold 6 shows each month. Well, my literal goal is to pay for groceries and some of the utilities each month, but that translates into 6 shows for me right now. :) I almost made it with five in January but one did not qualify, so on paper it looks like four. Not bad for the first month that I tried it, much less the first month after taking an extended break for the holidays. February lost one booking to April, so my six is now five. However, my open house doesn't look like it will actually work now that I had to reschedule, so I suspect it will mean me finding two additional shows for the month rather than one. Either way, I'm hopeful that I can find it. I really wish that I had the energy to prep for the open house today, but it just wasn't going to happen. I really needed to just lay down yesterday and sleep. I don't like doing things like working on Sundays, though with my thoughts and recent study trail on the Sabbath I'm not so sure I like doing it on Saturday either anymore. But, that's another topic for another post. :)

No comments: