Monday, January 29, 2007

Our weekend update

With having illness in the house last week I think we were all ready to have a few good days.

Saturday was C's first game. It was actually the second game on the schedule, but the first game she was able to attend. After getting the hang of who and how she was supposed to guard, she did really well! She scored four points, though if she didn't hesitate quite so much before shooting it would have been six. (She got one in just barely after they called for half time, and then she was hesitating on a shot as they called the game.) I love this league because our particular group doesn't allow stealing and such. They switch up the group of girls so that each week the "team" changes, and since they all practice and play together they are all getting to be friends. It's nice to see girls on both sides cheering for each other when they do something well. There was one father that sat behind us and kept questioning why they couldn't steal and such, but he wasn't "rowdy" so it wasn't a problem. He was just slightly louder than everyone else. :) C has made a friend on the team (coach's daughter), and her mom was giving me a good chuckle when I explained that my cousin's games were the only basketball games that I've ever watched, and only a handful of them at that. I've definitely got a few things to learn! Even my dh seemed to have a good time, so it was a good day. Our oldest girls had originally planned to come but I think the ick is at their house too. Here's hoping for a fast recovery.

Since I wasn't feeling well I moved the open house to Sunday. Not the best idea or my favorite, but I still had a few of my friends/mom's friends stop by which was nice. We got to visit and then I crashed when everyone left. I'll officially close out January with my business today. I didn't meet my goal for the month, but all in all I'm happy with how it turned out. I'm heading into a strong February so it's all good.

The kids that I babysit are sick today, so it's becoming a nice day for errands. We're SERIOUSLY low on groceries. With me sick I think we've eaten up any item that is easy to fix. We've got several roasts in the freezer left from a good sale, maybe some ground buffalo, and some fish (I'm trying hard to become a person that eats fish without gagging - so far so good... I ate half a fillet of white roughy made with a pecan crust two weeks ago. I'm already doing better than this time last year!) I think we'll be working on lessons and heading to Trader Joe's this afternoon. C is playing with the video camera and watching old videos that she made over the summer, so I have a feeling the video camera will come out in a history project next week.

I had a very welcomed realization this morning... our days are getting longer. :) I knew that it was true, but today was the first day that I recognized it was getting bright earlier than "normal." I'm SO happy. This means that we're almost out of winter. Winter is my worst season by far, but I think that working and focusing on various things has helped because I've not had the problems that I normally have. Now, it might also have to do with the warmer-than-average temps and sunshine we had. I don't really care as long as it is true!

I'm almost finished reading Restoration (See the link in the "reading" column to the right.) Once I finish it I'll post about it. I LOVE this book. His writing style is something that I can really get a chuckle out of, and his logic matches the way that I think. What I enjoy the most though are the footnotes. Lancaster is meticulous in siting which verse of scripture or which source he's using, so it's easy to follow along/study. I did notice that they now have a study workbook to go along with the book, but it was after I began reading. I'm not a good "stop in the middle" person. I'm still tossing around whether or not it would be worth it to pick it up anyway for a quick second scan or read. I do think it's a book that I could read again and walk away with more rather than "bored" so it might be something to consider. I've got a lengthy reading list and stack sitting on my shelf so there isn't a lack of options! It's definitely challenging my thinking, or in some cases cementing things that I thought before but thought I was only misinterpreting. Like everything else, I seem to have more questions than answers, but I think that's just the fun of life. I would be quite bored otherwise! I do think I'm getting closer and closer to feeling as though I want to keep the holidays and even the Sabbath differently, but not out of a sense of requirement but a sense of obedience. We've been blessed enough to be able to celebrate some of the holidays each year with my in laws (my husband is Jewish), but I don't think I saw the significance in a way that I should have. See... lots of thoughts to post about but it must happen at another time. I'm out of tea and it is time to get my kid started for the day. :)

No comments: