Saturday, April 14, 2007

Bible Study - 6th Grade

I don't plan out too much when it comes to our Bible study each year. I like having a lot of free study so we tend to go where we're led. However, I'm just scattered enough and my kid is just ADD enough that we like a bit of structure. It might just be a guide post to nod to as we pass by, but it's just nice to have it there.

In addition to this, I've got a few things in my head that I want to accomplish this year. Now that C is getting a bit older and digging a bit deeper I feel the need to start focusing on character traits that show up in godly women. This year we'll add in a study on Proverbs 31 and the ladies that God would like us to be. We'll also add in some character studies on women of the Bible. And, we'll look to how the New Testament tells us we should live. All of this should drive our character work that will happen at different times in the year.

I was fortunate enough to already have most of the guides that we are using already sitting on my shelf. I did purchase Kay Arthur's book used for $5.99 (so it's another one planned for under $10!) Since the goal is to get into the Word I'm focusing on that rather than all of the "extras" that sometimes distracts us.

The books that we'll use to guide us...

The Bible
Discover the Bible for Yourself, Kay Arthur
How to Study the Bible for Yourself, Tim LaHaye
Women of the Bible, Jean E. Syswerda

Daily:
Readings from both the Old Testament, Proverbs, and Psalms
In dept study through the books of the New Testament

Weekly:
Maintain a Bible notebook containing notes from the week's sermon and from her Bible Study/Sunday School as well as a section for prayer requests and results

Monthly:
Complete one character study of a woman from the Bible. Find practical ways to incorporate these traits into our daily lives.

Special Study:
Complete a study on Proverbs 31
Complete a study of a Psalm of her choosing

No comments: