Thursday, April 05, 2007

A sick day...

We're having a cold and icky sick day. I knew that we'd have cold weather, but it still doesn't mean that I'd enjoy it! :) I think I need to make some soup for supper. Now to just decide what kind...

My day started a 4 a.m. with that one sentence that makes any mother jump up out of a dead sleep into a fast run: "Mama, I think I'm going to throw up!" Thankfully for her, she didn't. We've been nursing a fever and a general ick all day. I try not to medicate fevers too soon so that the body can do it's thing, but we've dosed twice since this morning. I don't necessarily believe in being miserable either! She's bundled on the couch watching a Diagnosis Murder dvd from Netflix. That was one of my Granny's favorite TV shows, so lots of memories are coming back today. Good memories of cold days, tomato soup, and watching Diagnosis murder while she sat cross-legged in her recliner shaking her foot. Of course, those memories come from when we lived back home in Atlanta, where it is WARM. But I digress... ;D

I've not been able to get much done today because of juice runs and thermometer duty, which included not helping dh at the office today. I finally got him to ask me for help and I have to no show. Thankfully I've got a good husband that is more worried about his kid than his office. (Gotta love him!) I've managed to sneak in a bit of math research in between checking on C. I think I'm going to drag out the lap top and hope that the wireless works for a while so I can sit with her and entertain myself. (I can't just sit and watch tv. I have to do something or I either get bored or fall asleep!)

There may be more curriculum-related posts after a bit. I'm still keeping a good pace at getting things pulled together, even if I'm not making visible progress on my "to do" list. Here's hoping that I'll be able to check off some things here shortly.

Other than school planning, I've been busy trying to decide how to form the Sunday School class at our church. I've been asked to teach a children's Sunday School class, and somehow that grew into organizing all of the children's classes! It's a very small department but growing (less than 20 kids if you include those who attend on an irregular basis.) I've found a great non-denominational curriculum that is broadly graded (K to 5) and covers the Lord's Prayer over 13 weeks with hands-on activities and "straight from the Bible" teaching. I love that. Now I'm on the hunt for a good program to use with the preteen/teen crowd. This includes C and three other girls, so I'm thinking it would be a nice way to get them used to discussing and digging out answers rather than following a guide and filling in worksheets. Of course, I have to find a teacher for it or we'll have to figure out how to have them in with the class that I'm teaching. I just don't think that will work! I tend to be a planner, so I'm hoping to be able to pull it together in a way that it will transition well should the numbers grow. Now I just need to decide if I want to use something short for the first month until the adult classes begin, or if jumping into this study makes more sense. Lots to pray/think about.

Off to settle the kid, make some soup, and use a laptop. :)

2 comments:

Char said...

Sounds like you are keeping busy with your new church duties. :) Glad to hear it!
I know what you mean about not being able to sit still. I curl up on the couch under my nice warm blanket and fall asleep if I sit too long. It drives Todd crazy that I just can't sit still sometimes. I'm not always like that, but sometimes I just can't sit still.
I think i'll make some soup tonight too!! I was wondering what to have for dinner and now I know. I am making potato soup. Slurp! I love my potato soup.

Stephanie said...

Oh yum! Recipe please...

I'm the same way with blankets. I get cozy and zzzzz.....