Thursday, November 15, 2007

Score!

Today was one busy day! It's Thursday, and that means band and my turn at carpooling. The kids are really improving. I'm very thankful for the wonderful instructor that they have. He's a top notch college instructor with young kids at home himself, so he's tolerant, understanding, and FUN. We're very blessed to have found this group (although it would be nice to see more kids in the beginning band this year!)

After band we had enough time to each lunch and head right back out for ice skating. We have a rink chain with three locations (or maybe four?) Each week they open the rink for just the homeschoolers of the area so that we can have two hours of play time. We don't go each week, but it's nice to have the option there. We had such a good time today. In talking with the moms I realized something for the first time - I don't feel like I need a group or co-op because we have such a full schedule with such a great support system. This hasn't always been true though. This year I have a different group which surprises me. I haven't seen my friends as much. Instead we're meeting new friends and running into old ones. I'm not sure what it will bring. Honestly, I've been fighting a bit of a depression this year, so maybe seeing good friends means that I have to confront ghosts. lol Or, like always, I could be over analyzing. :) Either way, even on our new journey through our days I don't have that nagging feeling that I need to find an "official" group. Maybe I'm finally growing up! (grin)

After skating we took the opportunity to swing around the corner to one of our favorite science stores. It's a great teacher supply store - or more like a treasure trove - with the coolest science and math kits. I love just wandering through the aisles looking for the one or two (or twelve) things that really need to come live at our house! Today we couldn't decide on a science goody, but we found several great math games. I was able to pick up Muggins math game for 40% off! We also got a few Key To workbooks because C though they would be fun to have around. We also found a blow up ball similar to a beach ball called Clever Catch. There were quite a few in the series, but we decided to go with the "Math Attack" version. It works on mental math ability. The object is to catch the ball and give the answer to the question nearest your left thumb before time runs out. (We didn't read to see how much time each person has, but we'll figure out what works!) We also picked up a set called "Sixty Two Dice Games." It includes the dice and a book outlining various math-based dice games as well as a series of States games. I'm not sure how the States games will work, but we'll figure it out! The final score was a game called Top Secret Adventures. It's made by our friends at Highlights Magazine, and focuses on world geography. I just love learning through games! Needless to say, we've got a full day of game playing ahead of us.

The Shakespeare puppets didn't get any attention today because of our schedule, but I have a feeling that she'll work on them tomorrow. I can't wait until they are finished so that I can post photos. She's doing such a great job on them, and she's really trying to find ways to make them interesting and individual. They've all started out as paper dolls, but she's giving each of them three dimensional traits so they are very cute!

To recap, today we...

~ went to band (music/arts)
~ C read aloud more in King of Shadows in the car (literature, oration)
~ discussed living conditions during the Medieval period
~ ice skating (PE)
~ talked more about health (health)
~ C started a journal (writing)
~ took care of the guinea pig and dogs

I'm looking forward to tomorrow. We don't have to go anywhere but the grocery! Yea! We might sneak in a trip to the library to pay some fines and pick up some books, but I'm planning on staying in my jammies as long as I possibly can. :)

No comments: