Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Music!

Tonight was my girl's very first band concert! All of the kids did great! The beginning band played traditional carols... Jingle Bells, O Christmas Tree, Coventry Carol. It was a sweet way to begin the night. And the advanced band ended the night with How the Grinch Stole Christmas. It was hysterical! All of the kids (of all ages in each of the bands) just looked so happy and proud to be part of the group. Our director is director of bands for a local college. He's just great with the kids, and this has definitely been worth the drive AND the cash! Plus, we've made some more friends this year.

Of course, I forgot my camera! I think I'll have to bum them from our friends. :)

Earlier in the day we watched one of my favorite musicals... 1776. I've been singing "vote yes!" and "Somebody open up a window" at random intervals and at varying levels all day. For some reason my family doesn't find it as amusing as I do. lol It brought back memories of my favorite history/government teacher, Mrs.Chambers. I remember watching this during her AP History class. Man, what memories! My kid loved watching it, too, and we even had some rousing discussions because of it. By far though, the best fun we had with it was when we pulled out her parchment copy of the Declaration of Independence. We searched for each signature as they called the congress member up to sign. There are bits where I question the accuracy, but over all it was a great way to open her eyes to the fact that the founding fathers were real, live, actual people. (It was great to sing and giggle at the jokes though. I just love it.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there. I was just going through the list of winners from the Holiday Bundle - trying to make sure everyone got their prize - and I don't have your info. You won a $15 GC to Homeschool Oasis. If you'd like to claim/receive your prize please email: missjocelyn@kconline.com ASAP so we can get your GC sent off to you!

Thank you!
Jocelyn

Char said...

I love your new blog look! It's awesome! I love the signature. I need to figure out how to do that. :)
Miss ya!!