
In an effort to be more organized I'm joining up with a Menu Plan Monday! I've intended on putting one together for a while. In fact, I've had my cook books out in stacks with note cards and planning charts with the intention of creating 5 weekly plans that I can use to rotate. Note that I keep using forms of the word "intend." ;)
My goal is to include more whole grains and to make at least one recipe with a new veggie that I'm hoping to get my husband and daughter to eat. I scored big last week with some asparagus, so hopefully I can keep that coming. They've definitely come a long way from where they started when it comes to trying new things, but there is always room for more improvement.
Monday - Baked "fried" chicken with homemade white gravy, steamed green beans with lemon, wild rice/grain mix. (I know, the gravy outweighs the healthy goodness of the green beans, but it's just a necessity.)
Tuesday - Beef and Bean Chili with barley, corn bread, and pears.
Wednesday - homemade pizza (WW crust) with turkey bacon and half mushroom/half pineapple, garlic bread sticks, salad
Thursday - Salmon patties, quinoa pilaf, glazed carrots, steamed broccoli, and fruit salad (DH doesn't eat broccoli, and kid doesn't eat carrots. :) )
Friday - Sweet and Sour meatballs over brown rice, some sort of salad, challah (it's Sabbath!) - - -OOPS! I completely forgot that we're having Shabbat dinner at my in law's, so I'll move the meat balls to either Sunday or Monday, and I won't make challah this week.
Saturday - steak on the grill!
Sunday - free for all/left overs/soup from the freezer
It's not quite midnight so it's technically still Monday, and I got my first weekly menu plan done! It's needs tweaking for it to be a permanent plan, but for this week, it will do. I want to go through the freezer and shelves to see what we have on hand before I plan on shopping for anything additional, so the next few weeks might be a bit boring compared to other weeks. Once we eat our way through that then we'll start buying more. I can't wait till fresh produce at the farmer's market hits! It's almost time!





5 comments:
Your menu looks very good. My husband doesn't eat any veggies except salad and potatoes. :( That makes it hard to get the kids to eat them. I hope it goes well for you.
Hi Stephanie! Thanks for the compliment. :) When I married my husband he ate corn, potatoes (white only), mushrooms, and sometimes green beans. That made for boring meals. lol We had the same problem - if Dad wouldn't eat it the kids wouldn't eat it. He's gotten much better in what he likes and what he will try in front of her. He might not eat a lot, but he'll try it now! Will he try a few bites on his plate so that they will try a few on theirs? It took me years to get here, so there is always hope! :)
Kudos on wanting your family to eat a more healthy diet. It can be done.
Thanks, Rona! This wasn't the best menu that I've done since I threw it together quickly, but it's a good starting place for me. I'm hoping to sit down and really balance one out for next week.
Yummy! Can I eat at your house this week?!! haha! I love Menu Plan Monday!
Post a Comment