Home Education
Why do you homeschool?
We homeschool because I had already decided that I wanted to homeschool before I met dh and he was a good sport. ;) Actually, I was blessed that he shared my thoughts. We didn't want to force our dd to grow up too quickly. God gave her such a sweet and innocent spirit that I couldn't imagine seeing it crumble under stress or every other thing that kids are forced to endure these days. I stand by the idea that if God didn't want our kids protected a bit from society he wouldn't have given them parents as the gatekeepers.
On the educational end of things, we think that the one – on – one attention can really overcome a lot and encourage the kids to learn as best they can. Our older girls were able to come home for a few years, and they both excelled. Our middle daughter was always put in classes that would undermined her ability to really show her stuff. She's terribly bright, and no one paid attention. Even though she only homeschooled two years, it allowed her to learn how to learn, and gave her faith that she is a bright and interesting individual.
I have a million other reasons that we homeschool but I can't put it all down here. I think that needs a post of its own thought...
What technique or curriculum do you use?
We've used quite a few different things. Most times we have some sort of unit study with literature and living books as the base. We really try to tailor it to the girls' learning preferences with a healthy dose of interest-led thrown in. Our oldest needed more of a traditional schedule (read these pages, do this assignment, discuss this topic.) Our middle needed to be personally invested in it, so no matter what we used she helped me plan the lessons. Our youngest is definitely an immersion learner, so we choose something that has interest and meaning for her and dive in deep.
I don't think there is one right approach or even one right approach for each child. You just have to go with the flow year by year never becoming afraid to stir it up a bit.
Do your kids work above or below grade level (or both!)?
We had a bit of everything with all three depending on the subject and the age. The youngest typically scores above, but like all kids she has some areas that are more work than others. She worked HARD a few years in a row to get to where spelling isn't a difficulty. We were really proud of her determination! She pulled it up from several levels below grade level to grade level!
What is your educational level?
Some college and a lot of self-education
Do you feel that your education level has an effect on your teaching (both limits and abilities?)
I used to second guess myself quite a bit because I was questioned by family and friends on whether or not I would be able to handle the task ahead without a degree. I fell into that pit once or twice. But, I was lucky to have exceptional experiences with several teachers over the years that were out of the box. I'm just evidently out of the box. :)
What does your daily schedule look like?
Hmm... schedule... what schedule? While we've been babysitting, it's been a bit up in the air so it really depends on the day. We let the kid sleep as long as she needs, and after playing with the critters and eating breakfast she usually starts math. Everything else just progresses until she's finished with breaks as needed or with comings and goings as the calendar requires. We homeschool year round, so we take every 6th week off which is wonderful! We also take additional time off when we need it, or around holidays. Otherwise, we just play things by ear. I find that with our crew when we are more relaxed we are more productive, but when I'm scheduling to the minute we get woefully behind. We typically aim for 4 days of concentrated work with a day to fill in or rest up.
Are your kids always polite and ready to learn?
Are you serious? ;) Are yours?
Do the kids (or you!) get frustrated?
Yes. And yes. It actually took a lot of frustration to get us to where we are, and it happens because we're human. When I see it coming on I usually try to plan something different, or a trip to the zoo, etc.
How has this affected your parenting?
I actually have no idea. Because we started homeschooling our older girls when our youngest was only 3 I have no idea!
How much free time do they have?
Bunches. I'm not sure how long. We both need downtime or we can get crabby. :)
What do they do during their free time?
Pets, books, scooters, phoning a friend that lives about an hour away, crafts of all sorts, making up stories, cooking, occasionally computer games or video games (though this only usually pops up a few times in the month), building and designing loads of things from doll clothes to other worlds. The list goes on and on...
What hobbies do they have?
Unfortunately, my ADD daughter has a tendency to have a hobby for a short period of time. Interests jump all over the place. She has collected post cards and stamps off and on, and she always finds interesting rocks to save. Cooking is definitely something that she works on learning better (especially making sauces and spices with Dad as he's grilling!) She's finding more interest in her camera lately. I've learned that I can kill a hobby by trying to educate her on it, so I've had to just step back and let it be hers and hers alone. That's hard for someone like me!
What difficulties and challenges do you have with homeschooling?
My daughter really needs to move. She needs to have room, both physically and mentally, to stretch out and go where she needs to go. I have to remember to make sure she gets enough protein in the morning or she loses focus. I need to think outside the box so that she can move around in a controlled way, like using an exercise ball as a chair and making as many projects hands on as we can. These are all simple second nature things now, but in the beginning they were difficult to think of when my focus was how the older girls would just lounge and do their work.
My dh also works from home, so we have a lot of fun – read distractions – when he comes around taking breaks during the day. All in all it is fun though!
What makes homeschooling enjoyable?
The ability to just have fun and change when things aren't working have got to be the two best things about homeschooling. I love being able to remind myself that the goal is to teach her how to learn what she needs to know. It gives me a lot of freedom to change directions or materials if we need to do so to make it what it should be. I love being able to jump into the car and hit the zoo on a nice day because we need the sun. We get to live while we learn.
How do you get involved in the community?
The homeschooling community? Hmm... we are heading into a co-op this year. We've done it in the past but we don't play well with others so it didn't work out. lol Actually, we love having a group of friends rather than a group of appointments so we tend to do a lot of things when we are able. This summer dd has been volunteering at the library. She loves that! We love trying out local activities and fairs/festivals. Field trips are a must. We're lucky that the local hs community is very active so there is always something to do when we want something to do.
When do you have opportunities to interact with public or privately schooled children
In the neighborhood, at church services and activities, various local events, when we see family, etc.
Would you like more of these opportunities?
I don't really look for them nor do I avoid them. I do get a little excited when school starts again and we have quiet days once more at the zoo and the library books return to the shelves, but that's just a little bit selfish I suppose. lol
How can they be created?
By living?
What is your least favourite homeschool stereotype?
The worst is that by homeschooling I'm somehow saying that their choice to use public school is wrong. It is wrong for us, but I'm not in the home of any other family. We all have to do what is right for our own kids. My decision is my decision, not a judgement call on someone else.





4 comments:
It's been interesting to read the responses to this meme.
I bet! I loved reading the responses that you and Jodi posted.
This was a fun one. It's especially always so interesting to hear how people got started homeschooling.
Jodi - I think the same thing. I love hearing how it started and what it means to people. I think hearing someone's story can bring in a new layer to your own at times. You learn things that might be a bonus to your situation along the way. It's fun!
Post a Comment