I let dd help me select most of the topics, and where we had space or where I had requirements I filled them in. However, true to our form, we give the kid a high level of involvement when choosing what to study (and what materials to use!) Our kids all responded better when they had a bit of themselves invested in the choice. I'm not sure if it is as simple as having topics that interest them, or if it is partially because that investment builds responsibility. Either way, it works. :)
Here's our "Round One"... topics might be edited or changed as I begin planning.
Science: 9 units (4 weeks each)
A Brief History of Science (major discoveries, scientists, movements, etc)
Chemistry
Physics
Astronomy
Genetics
Geology
Archeology/Paleontology
Zoology
Oceanography
History: 9 units (4 weeks each)
Old Testament History (Creation to the Flood)
The Rise of Civilization
Egypt and the Exodus
Ancient Israel
Assyria and Babylon (Mesopotamia)
Persia and the Medes
Greece
Rome
Time of Christ and the Early Church
Home Ec: 9 units (4 weeks each) - undecided on order yet
Fabric Arts:
Sewing
Handicrafts (knitting, crocheting, cross stitch, etc)
Clothing (design and construction to care, thrifting, reusing/recycling, vintage costumes, etc)
*Not to be confused with fashion... my kid isn't a fashion nut. But, she loves designing practical clothes so this is the perspective we're looking from. She also loves looking at historical costumes, so we'll touch on that, too.
Culinary Arts:
Meal Planning
Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw diets
Baking (including decorating, etc)
Food as Medicine
Miscellaneous:
Modesty, Manners, and Etiquette
Unit of Choice (gotta give the kid some room to wiggle!)
Fine Arts: Art will have 9 4-week units following the same structure as the other subjects. Piano lessons will begin. (The kid also wants to pick up the flute again this year, so we'll see how long that lasts!) Art History will be tied into our history unit and touched on during field trips to the local art museum, etc as we learn different techniques. Music Appreciation will be as simple as selecting a style or composer to listen to during the month. I'm sure we'll include some loose learning about the composer simply because curiosity will win and we'll look them up. :) But, it won't be a scheduled subject at all.
Drawing
Painting
Sculpture
Folk Art
Printmaking
Textiles
Recycled Art
Drama
Movie Making/Animation
So far so good. I'm working on my basic outlines for each topic now. It will be slow going. Very slow going. ;)
But, I found a great resource! Paula's Archive has a web page that lists wonderful book selections for math, science, and history! She also has a page of videos (fiction and nonfiction) that corresponds with the basic divisions in history. It's a treasure trove! Some of the resources are even marked as to if they would be better for older or younger kids! It's great. Pop over and look.





2 comments:
Wow, Stephanie...you've sure been busy laying plans. Looks great! Where are you getting unit study ideas from? Or are you thinking all of this up yourself? I am so impressed!
I'm curious how you do this...do you school everyday? Set hours, same time each day? Do you attend classes or things like that outside of the home, or are you happily at home learning most of the time (which sounds quite fabulous). Do you have a schooling routine that you follow to make sure everything gets done?
I'm homeschooling 5 kids and we are all over the place with unit studies and routines. It's crazy! Your plans just sounds so well-thought out, your kiddo is a lucky little homeschooler!
Woohoo, looks like a great plan!
Post a Comment