Thursday, January 01, 2009

The Year in Review: First Sentence Meme

I saw this over at De'Etta's blog, and it's so much fun! It might not sum up exactly everything about our year in a correct and streamlined fashion, but it's a good bit of fun after a nice day. Happy New Years everyone!

Here are the rules:

1) Look back to your archives for 2008.
2) Collect the first sentence you wrote every month for the whole year. (This doesn't have to be the literal first day of the month--just the first post.)
3) Entertain us on your blog, link back here, and post a comment here with the link to your blog. (And if you're blogless, just remember the first sentence you spoke every month for the whole year and post it here.)
***********

January 5, 2008:
It's been a few weeks since my last post, but I'm back on track now!
(Yeah, I have a habit of forgetting to blog when life gets busy!)

February 2008:
So I didn't actually blog in February. I had just started babysitting in January and time/energy was not so plentiful so blogging fell by the wayside.

March 29, 2008:
Yep - I did it again. I disappeared. Things have just been hectic! Why?
(Wow - go figure that I did it again. Yes, I know that I included more than the first sentence, but it cracked me up that this is how the first quarter of the year went so I decided to include it all. Note the date... first post in March was the 29th!)

April 8, 2008:
The kid got a new cookbook from a friend for her birthday, and it's fabulous!
(FYI, it was Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld, and it's GREAT!)

May 26, 2008:
I've been working on several weeks worth of meal plans so that I can rotate through with standard shopping lists, but I'm rethinking this a bit.
(Another long gap between posts, and go figure it was about food!)

June 1, 2008:
All I can say is wow.
(This was a post about trying cardio-dance as a workout. I never did take the Zumba class at the Y because the videos kicked me hard! June was a big month because I blogged 28 times.)

July 9, 2008:
We've had such a hectic week.
(We had a very busy summer and a great stay-cation!)

August 1, 2008:
Like the other days of our stay-cation, we focused on things in the state that we could do as a day trip.
(This was a fun entry with lots of pictures! I really want to get our photos together and scrapbook that trip. Our four days around the state were just so much fun. I would have loved to camp, but by doing a lot of day trips we saved money when gas was so high to begin with, and we didn't have to worry about boarding the dogs. It was a lot of fun!)

September and October, 2008:
No posts. I was sick in September (well, let's be real... dealing with lots of anxiety attacks that needed to be under control. I didn't blog much less keep up with other things.) Our youngest was also sick after surgery late August, and spent September and October dealing with the beginnings of her health battled which ended with a recent diagnosis of a casein (dairy) allergy. It was a doctor-filled few months that didn't leave much time for much of anything, and I skipped blogging because I felt like I was complaining more than anything. I'm not too unhappy to see these months skipped! I wish I could have skipped part of them!

November 1, 2008:
Our fall has been.... interesting.
(Not again! Another "inconsistent blogger" update filling in the last few months. Well, that makes sense since I just gave an excuse for not blogging in September and October. lol)

December 1, 2008:
I won a gorgeous tote bag!!
(What a great way to start the holiday season and end the year! I won a gorgeous tote from Lisa over at The Princess and The Monkey. Please, go visit her blog and see how wonderfully creative she is. And, I just love her banner and icon! :) )

Ok, so the moral of the story is that I had a rough blogging year. But, dh and I both agree that the most important thing about 2008 was our struggles. Through them we strengthened our relationship with each other and most importantly with the Lord. It is the year that I learned to be content. It is the year that both my husband and I learned to be totally dependent on God. And, it's the year that my husband became a believer. My sister in law also gave birth to my beautiful nephew. Our middle daughter was blessed with a healthy pregnancy when she thought that she would never be able to have a baby. We fought health struggles and persevered.

2008 was a fabulous year.


7 comments:

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

This is great! It must have been interesting for you to look back on your year and see WHY you weren't blogging; sometimes the empty spaces can be as telling as the ones with lots of words!
Thanks for playing!

Romany said...

Ah yes, an interesting year. Here's hoping 2009 will be less *interesting* for you.

Where did you get your background? It's nice.

Stephanie said...

SmallWorld: You're so right about the spaces! They definitely tell a story to us!

Dorothy: Thanks for the wishes for 2009. I'm hoping great things for you too since you had quite a bit of your own in 2008! I got the background from TCBOTB. You got me hooked on that site! lol I keep thinking of the different backgrounds that I want to use each month. Maybe that will be a motivator to get me blogging regularly. lol

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I've been thinking about growth and how it most often follows struggle.....and is motivated by uncomfortable situations. Still rejoicing that your dh became a believer in 2008 - that makes the year an amazing year! LOL

I loved your "sentences" - got quite a chuckle out of them. LOL

As for your list - I'll have to contemplate.....it may be enough that folks can see which books I never finish. LOL

Stephanie said...

De'Etta - I've definitely noticed the struggle/growth connection, too. Sometimes I wished that I didn't notice it quite so much. lol It was a great year for us when you look at the big things which are all that matter.

Wild Homeschool Family said...

You've been through a lot, that's for sure.

This is a fun post.

Cynthia said...

That's quite a review.