Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Yummy yummy crackers!

Pretend there is a picture here. For some reason I'm having a very difficult time uploading one today. Use your imaginations. White bowl sitting on black with tomato soup and crackers. Good crackers. ;)

We had a comfort food dinner. Around here, comfort food is cream of tomato soup. But, as with all things lately, we're learning to make it dairy free. The kid wasn't feeling too hot today and really was just bummed for some reason that we can't have our normal soup. So, we found a recipe! And, in order to properly eat tomato soup one must have.... crackers! We've had an eye on Shmooed Food's vegan fish crackers for a while but have just never tried them. Tonight, we decided to jump in and have some fun. They are fantastic! And, they stayed crisp in the soup! I really don't like crackers that get gummy and fall apart, so this was probably more thrilling to me than it should have been. :0D

We used this recipe for the crackers with just a few variations... I used freshly ground whole wheat flour, added in some garlic (because everything needs garlic!), and tossed in some turmeric for some color. I didn't want to use orange food coloring just to make them look like "Goldfish" crackers. I did forget that it would stain my counters so I have a bit of clean up to do... next time I'll roll them out on wax paper. The recipe is easy, really didn't take us too much time to make, and smelled fabulous! We upped the nutritional yeast and used coconut oil in place of the canola oil, but other than that we followed it well. I did fail to add enough liquid so they are a little dry. I'll adjust that next time as well as upping the nutritional yeast some more. Actually, we've been coming up with different combinations that I'd like to try. We simply rolled and sliced crackers into various sized rectangles and squares. I let the kid handle this part, and she had a great time. We also tried various thicknesses and we actually liked them all. We just cooked the bigger crackers a tad longer. We'll probably invest the $8 for a fish cracker cutter simply because I think these will have a firm place on our menu.

As for the soup... it was great, too! I inadvertently used all of my coconut oil in the crackers so I used olive oil in the soup. I forgot to add the honey, used tomato sauce instead of pizza sauce, and used regular coconut milk instead of light coconut milk. I tried to stick to the recipe. Honest. lol It was a super quick meal which I promptly added to our menu plan for lunch. Of course, the kid and I ate the entire pot between the two of us so next time I'll be sure to add a grilled "cheeze" sandwich and salad on the side for a true comfort food meal. We're keen on Veganrella, so I'm interested to see if it will work well in a sandwich.

I love days that end with full bellies. :)

4 comments:

Wild Homeschool Family said...

The soup and crackers sounds very yummy!

Jodi

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Hmmmm.....I may have to try to make those crackers....maybe....

BTW how exciting 39 days to grand #2.

Stephanie said...

Thanks - We are excited! She's more than ready to have baby in arms rather than baby in belly!

The crackers are yummy and super easy. Of course, the worst part was rolling them out. But, my dd could have made them on her own even. We had some in a glass container for about half week before we finished them all off, and they didn't go stale. I'm going to make some more tomorrow and see if i can get a week's worth made at a time.

Cynthia said...

It's definitely the time of year for soup. Oh. and I LOVE your blog template! It's SO CUTE!