Sunday, March 01, 2009

oops!

I haven't posted in two weeks. I'm falling down on my 2009 list commitment. Must do better. ;)

Things have been a blur around here. We've had birthdays, births, and field trips. Life was lived, though beyond the birthdays, births, and field trips it wasn't exactly headline news. That's just the way that I like it! Fun, quiet, and full of family.

My little granddaughter started calling me Nana plain as day. I'm thrilled! She now had versions of names for everyone... nana, poppy, noni, dadin... each makes the recipient melt like snow on a spring day. (And speaking of spring, it's almost here!)

We've figured out our new calendar for the year. I much prefer taking July and December off, so we've decided to schedule our year Jan to Dec instead. We'll see how it goes this year. We're a bit off schedule from what it would have looked like had we started in January, but not by much at all. I'd like to see if it will work better than our normal pattern of taking random breaks and all of December. Breaks come after six week terms, and breaks fall exactly where we need them to if you look at our typical times of burn out. Who needs a traditional calendar! The bonus is that we were ready to get started on some new material. We're having a blast. I just love Diana Waring 's history audio!

I'm taking a lot of flack on the food front. After months and months of thought, and much research, I've decided that in addition to giving up dairy I'm giving up meat. Yeppers... vegetarianism here I come. Or veganism. Not sure yet. I'm still contemplating all of the decisions that go along with a lifestyle change of this nature. Luckily I have a fabulous friend who has modeled a wonderful vegan lifestyle all the while not pushing or even suggesting that it was something to look into for my family. At the same time, she gave me a ton of great information and recipes to try that opened up my family to a world of goodness and flavors. She's fabulous at leading by example simply by living. Her (Check out her blog: Green and Crunchy) Thank you, Sheri! Now, fast forward to me and my thinking brain to today and you'll catch me feeling good, a few pounds lighter, and loving my new way of eating. I'm only a week in, but a week in a long succession of weeks to come. I'll post more on it later, but for now I need to run. I have a bowl of chocolate pudding calling my name. :) (Look under the food label on the right for the Heaven in a Bowl post!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just read this...thank you for the kind words! So sweet :)

I'm very impressed with all the changes you are making -- good, positive changes for your health (and that of your family too). You're doing a great job with all the reading and researching!

Wild Homeschool Family said...

I'm going to check out your friends blog!

Sorry I didn't reply to your email yet but I will today.

ahhh the cat is stealing my breakfast! Trying to multitask here. LOL

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Stephanie - our favorite years ever were when we schooled Jan - Dec.....but then the older kids messed with the schedule. LOL

I'm going to check out Sheri's blog...I read it quickly as "green and grouchy". ::snort::

Cynthia said...

For a few years we also schooled from Jan-Dec, but when our oldest hit high school and wanted to participate in some traditional school tpye activities, it just didn't work anymore. But, I did enjoy those years when it did work. Going onto that schedule was no problem at all since we took a few months off to start in January, but going from a Jan-Dec schedule back to Aug-July was a killer because we were playing catch up all year.

Have FUN with your new schedule!