Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Assyrians (a written naration from today's lessons)

We're trying to move C from oral narration to written narration (or more clearly I'm trying to get her to realize that there is no difference in her oral narrations and what I expect when I tell her to write a summary about something.) We've been scrap booking for her history notebook this unit and this is the summary that she has in one frame on today's page. She was completing the lesson on Assyria in "Ancient Mesopotamia" by Robin Sampson/Heart of Wisdom.

"The Assyrians started as a small land. But as time passed they became a powerful country. The Assyrians had many kinds of gods. Their armies were always attacking neighboring lands. Their people were very war-like. The Israelites had turned away from God, and that gave (the Assyrians) a chance to capture them. The Assyrians held 28,000 Israelites captive and deported them. The Babylonian army destroyed Assyria in 612 BC, and three years later in 609 BC the Assyrian empire finally came to an end."

I was amazed to read about the capture of the Israelites by the Assyrians. I had no idea that this happened! We read about the 800 mile walk that they had to take. We read of Jonah and his preaching to Nineveh, capital of Assyria. We read 2 Kings and of King Hezekiah. (spelling?) I have to say, this was one of the most interesting history days that we've had so far in this unit. Friday is our start into Babylon.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Very cool when Mom gets to learn some interesting things too! Your dd's narration is very good for her age.

Stephanie said...

I love learning new things! There have been many times that dh/I have watched the History Channel or read a passage of something with C and had it be totally new to us. I just love it.

Stephanie said...

Amd thank you! I think she did a great job. :)