Well, the kid is feeling ship shape except for a bit of head congestion that is lingering. I am, on the other hand, feeling worse than yesterday. I think it's the old scenario of trying to do too much yesterday since I felt a bit better. But, laundry and dishes just had to be done. Today was spent working on some lessons, puttering through things that could be done at my desk like a guest list for a Pampered Chef show in January. I'm telling you, if you are in any sort of direct selling company and you get in our neighborhood we'll earn you that company trip. lol I'd love to find out what this lady alone has made off of our neighborhood. It's my turn so I guess I grin and bear it. I suppose it is a fair turn about since I happen to sell for Lia Sophia and Usborne!
I also worked - or started working - on the general lesson plans that we'll need for January. I'd love to have everything done soon so that I can just enjoy December. Normally we take the entire month to study everything Christmas and Advent, do a lot of baking, etc. This year unfortunately is different since we seem to be in a constant state of "behind." I really think I need to take an objective look at it since from the outside we don't appear behind. So, what really counts? What we look like from the outside/on paper, or what I feel like we're doing? Hmm... that's another one for the tootsie pop owl who always ponders things. (Go ahead, show your age and tell me that you remember the commercials too so I don't feel old and alone...) I am looking forward to the next unit study since it's on Ancient Israel. We've not studied the actual society as a specific area in Ancient history before so I think it will be a fun twist. I am, however, thinking of switching our units up so that we're only juggling one topic (science or history) at a time. I think we'll be able to get deeper into a topic since she seems to be an immersion learner similar to me, though she tends to get bored if we don't have several subjects going at once. It's all still up in the air.
Lessons today went pretty smoothly though we started much later than planned. We worked a little more on fractions just to be sure that it sinks in. We'll start decimals tomorrow. Honest. :) C did really well with her reading notes during her research time. She's surprising me with her interest! I keep hearing fun facts about Thomas Edison. Love it! If this works well I might get creative with some research projects just to really dig into this skill. She also picked up quickly how to record her notes so that she would have an easier time forming a bibliography when it's paper writing time. It's a Tuesday so it's science day. Today's lesson was on the Menorah (since it is part of the light unit.) I really want to go back and read this lesson to pick up on some of the finer points for myself. I was feeling so horrible today that I had C read through it on her own. We rarely if ever do that, so it was a very odd twist.
I'm really glad to see some progress honestly because part of my nature is to be a box checker which doesn't go well with my ideas and educational approach. :) So, this makes that side of me quite happy.
And, it's almost CHRISTMAS! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
I"m sorry you're not feeling 100% better - I'm amazed at what you got done feeling ill.
Jumping up and down- I remember the tootsie pop owl commercials! Hehe They are showing them on boomerang network now LOL But I remember the originals. It sounds like C is doing AWESOME. I hope you all feel better!
Francine
Having read your blog for some time now I would give the opinion that you and C do quite a lot and even if you feel "behind" you're not. Maybe it's the time of year?
Sorry to hear you're still not feeling well.
I'm sure I remember the tootsie pop owl. Well I'm sure I've seen the ad quite recently too, my kids tried to count licks after they saw it, only problem is they had a completely different type of lollipop, oh well they still thought it was fun...where was I.... I'm also sure I've seen it in the past too so I must be getting old.
Hope you feel ALL better soon.
De'Etta - Don't be too impressed. We have dirty dishes lining the counter and I think I'm down to one pair of clean skivies after today. It all balances out. lol
Francine - Thank you! I need to talk to you! Emailing in the morning... (And I knew I wasn't the only one that remembered those commercials!)
Jodi - I think I always feel behind because if you check off the days and the boxes to make lessons fit days we seem to take much longer than some people. I look at our log and see days here and there with no math or without history which makes me wonder if we did it like everyone else would we be done by now? I think I'm still coming off of a bad year where we had problems so I'm worried that they will continue. Call me neurotic. lol And yea, you remember them too! At least if we're all getting old we're in good company. :)
Thanks for the pep talks and support everyone!
Post a Comment