Sunday, April 15, 2007

Spelling - 6th grade

I got our spelling lessons put together yesterday. It wasn't much to pull together because I was lucky enough to find a complete sixth grade spelling curriculum online. So, I just saved worksheets and ordered our Fly Pen Spelling refill pads. (More on that in a minute.)

Each week (32) will begin with a simple worksheet that will help highlight the rule that is studied. By answering a few questions she will be able to infer the rule rather that simply read and memorize it. Then, we'll continue our pattern of having 4 days of Fly Pen activities followed by a quiz on the final day. If she misses more than a few we carry over for a day or two until she has mastery of the list. Simple as that!

Our Fly Pen was absolutely the best investment of this school year. (She got it along with books/software for Christmas.) C has struggled with spelling for years. We've tried just about every program out there with very limited success. I'm partially in the camp that she was just ready this year, but also in the camp that the Fly Pen Spelling program is worth it's weight in gold! She uses it to play games with her spelling words, and it integrates auditory and visual learning games. It's a great fit for her. So, my only cost for spelling this year was to pick up several packs of the refill paper so that she can continue to use it with her lists. (It is not list dependent, so we can simply use our own words of increasing difficulty.)

5 comments:

Jodi said...

I'd been wondering about the fly pen. Although it would likely be unrealistic with 4 children. Good to hear it works well just in case we ever decide to try it.

Stephanie said...

If they share well it's something great because you can use any level with it. They also have ranges on their software... for example I think the math we have is gr 3 to 5, Spelling is gr 1 to 5, etc. But, the great thing is that you can use your own problems and words, especially in math if you use the blank paper. It's a lot of fun. Best Buy had them on clearance on their website a few days ago. (I was searching for the refill packs and found that.)

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I've never heard of fly pen...guess I'll have to go check this out. LOL

Stephanie said...

Fly Pens are great! They are like the "grown up" version of a Leap Pad. I just hope that they don't discontinue them. We have a habit of finding neat things just before they fall out of the market!

Jodi said...

I'll look at the site you shared I still don't quite get how it works. It does sound fun.