Friday, January 05, 2007

Kids crack me up...

C is having a neighbor friend spend the night tonight, and she is too funny! This finally got her motivated to clean up her play room (aka our oldest dd's old bedroom) so that they could sleep in there. She had me move a tv in there and put the play station in, grabbed a disco ball light (lots of bright colors!) and declared it a party. It's too funny! They've had pizza and from the sounds of the bangs they've already started playing Karaoke Revolution on the playstation upstairs. (The bangs are from jumping and dancing evidently!) On the schedule are snacks, a movie, and decorating t-shirts and pillow cases with fabric markers. In hind sight I should have gotten XL shirts for them to use as night shirts, but at least they'll have a t-shirt to wear come spring.

It was cute seeing her get ready. We have a pretty hands-off attitude about video games and play station usage. In other words... hands off my money. :) If she wants a new game she either trades in old games or saves her own money for it. She knew that her friend really liked playing karaoke, so she made sure that she traded just the right game to match the remaining holiday money in her wallet. She love this game too, but I thought it was so sweet that she thought of her friend. She's really trying to make things go well so that her friend makes it through the night here without going home. (Thankfully she only lives two houses over in case it doesn't work!)

The first "half-week" of babysitting went well. I've had to lay down the law about whining in my house (it's illegal :D ) and had to prove that yes, I will use a time out if I need to, but other than those few things it went really well. He's a great eater, so lunches are so easy! The little boy that I babysat last year was a horrid eater, and since I'm not one to have PB&J 5 times a week at my house (you're lucky if you get it 2x a month) I had a difficult time. But, this little boy will eat just about anything I put down in front of him! It's also helping me get into a good schedule. I had developed a bad habit of being on the computer until lessons started, and this give me focus in the morning. It's becoming a good chore time for me so we might have to revisit the idea of doing afternoon lessons once he's off to school. I'm also actually planning out a lunch menu so it's great. Good changes all around.

My sweetie is working late tonight so it's just me and the party girls. I'm finding sleep overs to be quite agreeable... they haven't come downstairs once! I'm getting ready to sit down with a book and maybe some ice cream. I know, I know... not on the diet. But, I've been really good this week! I'm still trying to read Our Father Abraham. The material is good, but for some reason I feel like the kids in Mr. Monotone's class from Ferris Bueller.... Bueller... Bueller... I have heard from many people that they love it, and maybe once I get out of the initial explanations and into the meat I might really dig in. We'll see. I'm hoping it takes off or I might start with one of the other books I have. I like seeing reviews that mention it being an enjoyable read, and two of the books in waiting have just that. I'm also less sleepy tonight so here's hoping fatigue influenced my initial opinion of the book.

I'm off to see how the girls are and get some down time in for myself. Oh - anyone who is reading and would like to say a prayer, I have an "online" friend who could certainly use prayer for her injured son. No need in sharing too many details without permission... God will know who you're talking about. :)

2 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

What a fun night C has arranged for her friend! Hope you found and enjoyed some down time.

Stephanie said...

I did. It was wonderful! I was able to read about the Sabbath in the Biblical Holidays book as well as in the Bible. IT was a good time because even though I was pausing for short interruptions it was quiet enough for some good study. Her friend made it till midnight before she wanted to go home. Much better than 2 am! :)